Call For Public Submissions
Media Release: 31 January 2014
The Inquiry into Stella Maris is now calling for public information and submissions relating to the granting of a lease over the Stella Maris site to Unions NT on or about 3 August 2012 and the inquiry’s seven terms of reference.
Inquiry Commissioner John Lawler AM APM said people can make a submission to the Inquiry by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (08) 8999 6011.
‘We are calling for public information over the next two weeks, with submissions closing on Friday 14 February,’ Mr Lawler said.
‘People who want to make a submission but are unable to meet this deadline should contact the Inquiry office within the next two weeks to make other arrangements.’
A website has also been created - www.stellamarisinquiry.nt.gov.au - that has important information about the inquiry and will list the time, date and location of any public hearings the Inquiry chooses to hold.
The Inquiry’s terms of reference are:
To inquire into and report on:
- The circumstances of the purported decision of the then Minister for Lands and Planning to grant a lease over Lot 5260 Town of Darwin known as Stella Maris (the site) to Unions NT on or about 3 August 2012.
- The public policy and public accountability considerations involved in making the purported decision to grant a lease of the site to Unions NT without putting the matter out to expressions of interest or public tender.
- The performance of relevant persons, including the then Minister for Lands and Planning, in carrying out their obligations under the relevant regulatory regime and ensuring the proper accountability processes were applied in the tenure management of the site.
- The adequacy and effectiveness of the regulatory regime in ensuring transparency, good governance and community input into the process of leasing or granting Crown land.
- The provision and accessibility of relevant information to affected stakeholders and the public in relation to the proposal and purported decision to grant the lease of the site to Unions NT.
- Any measures that might help ensure transparency, good governance and community input into the process of leasing or granting Crown land with particular reference to the purported decision to grant the lease of the site to Unions NT.
- Any other suggestions or recommendations the Commissioner considers relevant to the above matters.